Conundrum: I am trying to put together a repository of every social media handle of every person who works in public radio.
This is difficult because:
1. There are 875 stations with varying numbers of reporters + NPR + PRX + independent producers + APM + CBC + BBC + etc. etc. etc.
2. People leave and enter public radio all the time and these lists of social handles + employees have to be maintained and current and updated when new people come or old people go.
Things I have tried:
1. Asked everyone to put their social handles in Reddit. But we broke Reddit because the list is now too long and new stations cannot add their handles (and it appears to be deleting existing accounts.)
2. Thought about ways to use LinkedIn’s API to make sure the lists were current. i.e. Check whether someone’s job is CURRENTLY at a public media entity. (This seems like the best way to get people to update job info about themselves?)
3. If a Twitter list could be added to or subtracted from when a Google spreadsheet is updated, it would be easier for newsrooms to make lists of current employees, employees covering X topic or make lists about certain topics. If an employee leaves, they would be removed from the spreadsheet (maybe even automatically, if the spreadsheet is generated by HR…)
1. Can Twitter lists be dynamic?2. Can Twitter lists be added to or subtracted from based on a Google spreadsheet? (I’m assuming yes, because 1) Google Scripts and 2) Twitter’s API)3. Can I automatically make a twitter list of Y size by seeding it with X number of people and then the list automatically adds (Y-X) people based on people like the X people I seeded it with? (Auto Fuego?)
Things we could do if we had this:
1. Big database that could be used internally and externally during breaking news. (Ex: Breaking news in Portland? Here’s the list of OPB reporters.)
2. Serve up handles on the web/social in various ways
3. Create new content streams using APIs of various social providers
Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I need:
1. A way to collect handles from every station without breaking (like with Reddit.)
2. A way for stations to either maintain the lists themselves and have those changes reflected in the lists OR a way to make the lists dynamic (which would be more ideal.)
3. A way to let every station know this exists.
HELP ME INTERNET!
Edit: I am hesitant to use wikis because it would require someone from each station to update the wiki continually which is a pain in the tush. Is there a more dynamic solution?